SEC Headlines 1/2/2013
1. A four-interception day for Mississippi State in the Gator Bowl. Dan Mullen: “Excuse my language,” said Mullen, “but it sucks.” Johnthan Banks ended his college career with an injury on a punt return - suffers nerve damage to his thigh muscle.
2. A thrilling ending for South Carolina in the Outback Bowl in one of the most dramatic games in school history. Steve Spurrier: “We haven’t won like that since I’ve been here.” Spurrier says team hit eight of 10 team goals this year.
3. Gamecocks defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward on the Jadeveon Clowney hit that had everyone buzzing: ”That’s the hardest hit I’ve ever seen in my coaching career.”
4. A big day for Georgia’s linebackers in the Capital One Bowl. Following a 13-tackle performance Alec Ogletree says he’s going pro. Teammate Jarvis Jones, expected to go pro, set the school record for sacks in a season.
5. Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham wasn’t crazy about the Big 12 officiating crew: “I really appreciate the SEC officials…”
6. It’s Florida vs. Louisville tonight in the Sugar Bowl. Last time Gators played in this game, Urban Meyer was the coach, Tim Tebow was the quarterback and Brian Kelly was leaving 12-0 Cincinnati for Notre Dame.
7. Is Florida overlooking Louisville because it plays in the Big East? Will Muschamp: “I think that’s hogwash.”
8. ESPN could be looking at record viewership for Alabama-Notre Dame - could become one of the most-watched college events ever.
9. Defending Dan Mullen whose team started the year 7-0 and ended it 1-5. ”Dan Mullen doesn’t merely coach competitive teams at MSU, he’s built – and continues to build – a strong program.”
10. Will Mullen shake up the staff? “I’m going to evaluate that as we move forward.”
11. With Kliff Kingsbury’s departure to Texas Tech, Texas A&M needs an offensive coordinator. Kevin Sumlin says he’s in no rush to hire a replacement. Kingsbury cried when he told Aggie players he was leaving.
12. New Arkansas linebackers coach Randy Shannon: “It’s a chance to win championships and a chance to be with a great head football coach and have the opportunity to do great things.”
13. Tennessee coach Butch Jones on linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen: ”He’s a great recruiter, but he’s also a very good football coach. I did my due diligence of calling around.”
← Back to Home